Survey Solutions software works with Android tablets with the following specifications:
- Version of Android OS: Android 5.0 or better is required.
- RAM: Minimum 1.5GB
- Storage: 8GB of flash memory storage. At least 1GB of available space must be available for Survey Solutions’ use. The Survey Solutions software installation package (.apk) is less than 100MB, but more space will be required during the operation of the software. The ultimate requirements for space depend on the kind of survey (questionnaire) and the mode of use of the tablet (number of assignments, simultaneously started assignments, rejections, etc.
- WiFi module, which can be used for software setup, upgrades, and synchronization while in the office.
- 3G/4G connectivity module is required for synchronization from the field.
Minimal requirements are not necessarily going to be optimal for a particular application. Better technical characteristics will improve responsiveness of the program and the user experience. Conduct your independent testing before volume purchases of tablets.
- Screen size 7-8-inch screens are often chosen. Bigger screens consume more power and reduce autonomous work. The choice of the screen depends on the convenience of use with the software and is usually determined experimentally.
The World Bank-Survey Solutions team is not in the position of recommending devices. In January 2016 we have tested several devices for compatibily with the version of Survey Solutions current at that time. The description of the tested devices is presented in the table below for historical purposes, since these devices may no longer be compatible with the current version of Survey Solutions, and/or may no longer be available on the market.
|Tablet model||Android version||3G or 4G||WiFi||RAM||Flash Storage||Screen||Approx Price
|Asus Nexus 7 (2013)||4.4.4||+||+||2GB||32GB||7"||$200|
|Dell Venue 8 3840||4.4.4||+||+||1GB||16GB||8"||$170|
|Dell Venue 8 3830||4.4.2||+||+||2GB||32GB||8"||$150|
|HTC Nexus 9||6.0.1||+||+||2GB||32GB||8.9"||$450|
|Samsung Galaxy TAB 3||4.4.2||-||+||1.5GB||16GB||8"||$250|
|Samsung Galaxy TAB 4||5.1.1||+||+||1.5GB||16GB||7"||$300|
|Samsung Galaxy TAB A||5.0.2||+||+||1.5GB||16GB||8"||$350|
|Samsung Galaxy Note||4.4.2||+||+||2GB||32GB||8"||$350|
|Samsung Galaxy Tab S||5.0.2||+||+||3GB||16GB||8.4"||$400|
|Samsung Nexus 10||5.0.2||-||+||2GB||32GB||10"||$300|
|NVidia Shield k1||5.0.1||-||+||2GB||16GB||8"||$200|
|Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F||5.1.0||-||+||1GB||16GB||8"||$150|
NB: The testing was performed by the developers of Survey Solutions CAPI software. Conduct your independent testing before volume purchases of tablets. Same models may be available in different markets under different model numbers.
We are no longer trying to keep this list current. If you tried a different model and determined it works fine with Survey Solutions, please mention this in the users’ forum along with the version number of the Survey Solutions software that you’ve used.